Author Topic: Meditation Music (I 've Told you,sit relax)  (Read 21483 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:30:44 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

Re: Meditation Music (I 've Told you,sit relax)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:06:34 AM »
There's more lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu0EhKQCJC4

ps BELLY !!! I've been saying it a while looool
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:08:08 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:16:10 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2xLogB6b2c&NR=1

This one sums up what is "wrong" with most "Buddhism": Offering to the monks or Buddhas or Devas brings blessings. In Asia it is only monks who meditate generally. The vast majority of Buddhists do not meditate - or follow the eightfold path. Buddhism in Asia has this schism between monks in monasteries who follow the esoteric path (inner gnosis through meditation) - and the lay people whose spirituality is exoteric (the outer trappings: offerings, prayers, belief in doctrine without personal investigation, etc - all the things the Buddha said were pointless).

The problem here is that this is a political outcome. Buddhists were never in monasteries until their wisdom started unsettling rulers and the political compromise was "Ok you can do your Buddhism inside the monastery walls". Thus it became covered in dust and the power of the message was lost.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:42:05 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

frepi

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:17:51 PM »
From the first video:
"Follow Luong Por instructions....ONLY"

Matthew

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:18:02 PM »
Luong Por is a generic term in Thai for a high teacher but I am pretty certain it refers specifically to Ajhan Chan in this context as it was used as a name for him.

Over one million people attended his funeral including the Thai Royal Family. His instructions are delivered by the Thai Forest tradition he founded - and which is possibly one of the closest traditions to the original teachings of the Buddha based on my current researches.

I'm planning to visit their one of their monasteries in the UK once their silent retreat is over (Jan - March) and if I ever make the jump to monasticism or even go back into intensive retreat it will be with that tradition I suspect.

Matthew

frepi

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:24:09 AM »
I wrote that to point out that "Luong Por" (or Ajhan Chan if you wish), just like Goenka, recommends the practice of his method only, not to be mixed with others.

Matthew

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:10:41 AM »
Understood. :)

frepi

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
Seems the Buddhist problem is not unique to buddism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »
I love that video.

Venture

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »
Oh man that first movie made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes. Half way through the crocguru goes on this wild indian eya ya oeya tangent that really cracked me up.

Somebody should make a gangsta-rap version of this too. I'm thinking 50 cent in the club beat mixed in "What happened oh"oh what happened, fool !? "

Crystal Palace

• "Move on Bhikkus, Move On" - Buddha
    • Thai Forest Tradition
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:26:42 PM »
Too Cool. :o 

This is what we need, not frequency calculators. These folks have explained meditation as it should be.

As the Joker would say, "Why so serious?"

Crystal Palace
"Abstain from unwholesome actions,
Perform wholesome actions,
Purify your mind"

Buddha

Matthew

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »
I'm glad you bumped this Crystal .. I was going to do so today having shown a neighbour the video. The simple instructions are profound and work. Luang Por was a master meditator and revered human.

Here's Osho on being funny:

OSHO: Absolutely Free to Be Funny

rideforever

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:49:58 AM »
Here's another one with Osho being funny :

(there's a woman with a very beautiful laugh in this one, wow)

OSHO: You Have Not Known Total Chaos - Just Wait...

Matty G

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 04:51:40 PM »
This is awesome. This video gave did not give me any  new perspective, although it has reinforced what I have been discovering as of late.

What I am talking about is the video that the creator posted, I have not had the opportunity to view the others yet. I do not post that much, as I often feel after posting that I am trying to show how some idea is in my grasp, yet I later realise that it is probably not tangible to others anyway- just another idea in my mind.

I am so busy lately I don't usually sit for long and meditate, but now I realize through out my days lately I just close my eyes and breathe. It might sound like a cop out, but I am in school and I am employed at a job where I must also work a lot- I work a lot at school and for my employer- It truly is hard to find the time to sit sometimes, especially between Monday and Wednesday (lol!- seriously I laughed out loud for some reason...). Anyway throughout my days I just give my chance if for a few moments to sit and relax, I will close my eyes and breathe, usually when I do this I smile because of the occasion. Oh man this video is such a positive reinforcement of what I have been thinking lately.

Thank you.

And how come 'lol' is underlined in red by spell check? I mean wtf? (that is too, underlined in red) Aren't these things in the dictionary yet?

It is wednesday and now I am actually running late. I left work early so I could see a professor to review some things and I was distracted momentarily. Untill next time

Matty G (Not Matthew please, too biblical in my state of conditioned cognition- sorry Matthew), Too much love- Peace.

Matthew

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »
Matty,

At the University I often teach my students (who are mostly staff with a few uni students) to just meditate at the desk for 30 seconds or go to the loo and do toilet meditation for five minutes (no one is allowed to ask why you are going to the toilet after all :) ) I also recommend when you are waiting or when you are travelling in public transport to use that time as practice time. This way there is always a chance to practice, in anyone's day. I use all of them.

Matthew (Hebrew: A Gift From God)

ps Today I decided to stop being Agnostic - I finally saw through the whole God Jehova business and how it operates so widely and subtly that I had to revert to the posture I held age eight. That's when I told the head master at school that I wouldn't sing hymns because god was dead.