Author Topic: Maha Satipatthana Sutta - full pdf  (Read 11563 times)

Flipasso

Maha Satipatthana Sutta - full pdf
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/mahasati.pdf Translated by U Jotika & U Dhamminda

I've not read it though, gonna print it today. I recommend it because it is the main source from which vipassana teachers cite from when they explain theire teachings. It should be the most accurate book on vipassana according to the buddha.
BTW - What's the difference between maha satipatthana and just satipatthana?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:57:04 PM by Flipasso »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Maha Satipatthana Sutta
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

There's the Satipatthana Sutta. Satipatthana describes an approach to meditation or a meditation instruction. Maha means great. The difference must be either between the instruction or the Sutta, probably the latter. But if you read both you will know.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:14:06 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 04:35:32 PM »
It appears that point 5 "Mental qualities" is expounded in much greater detail in the Maha-satipatthana Sutta.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Flipasso

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:15:13 PM »
This one has notes on the end.
It says it was told from Ananda, Buddha's attendant monk. The whole Sutta is written as a discourse of a former discourse. This former discourse is supposed to have been made by the Buddha.

Matthew

• Staff
Re: Maha Satipatthana Sutta - full pdf
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:20:18 AM »
Flipasso,

That is often the way. Shariputra and Ananda were two of the Buddha's closest attendants and students (and relatives) - they were around a lot, Ananda constantly for the last twenty five years or so of Gautama's life.

Hence much of the Sutta - which was passed on in verbal form as memorised stories/teachings were passed down via Ananda or Shariputra. They had more chance to memorise these teachings than many others, heard them more often than many others and hence were the definitive source for much of the oral tradition that proceeded the Pali cannon.

This oral tradition is why the Pali Suttas often take repetitive forms which makes the accurate passing on of such teachings easier as memorising a structured repetitive story is much easier. However it is really worth reading these scriptures carefully despite the repetition as important minor points are often hidden in what appears to be a long list of formulaic sentences.

Worth comparing the two Suttas on Accesstoinsight as there they are by the same translator. They are identical except for the expansion in section 5 mentioned above.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew