Poll

Read Bellow before answering.

Didn't learn form Goenka
Not from meditation.
Before the course.
During the course.
After the course.
In another retreat.

Author Topic: Deep Experiences in Goenka tradition meditators  (Read 5105 times)

Flipasso

Deep Experiences in Goenka tradition meditators
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
Although I crave a lot for something very deep and want to know all the details from people who achieved some kind of deep experience this is not the aim of the post. - I will reveal the post's aim later.
This post is somewhat a Scientific Research on the Goenka tradition meditator's experiences.

QUESTION:I want to know when did the most deep experience you felt occur?

PS: If you did not learn from Goenka's tradition then vote "Didn't learn from Goenka."
PPS: You are able to change your vote, but do this only if you misvoted, don't cause any biases.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:34:33 PM by Flipasso »

Flipasso

Re: Deep Experiences in Goenka tradition meditators
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 09:31:28 PM »
Well, the voting population as not nearly by far an acceptable sample.
My theory behind this is that if you want to have deep experiences you'll probably have more success if you do a retreat, whether in a Goenka course or elsewhere or on your own like Paul did.
peace@you.all
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 11:19:12 PM by silentflute »

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:37:55 PM »
I would not have had near the experience without going to the 10-day retreat.  I'm not saying that's the only path, just that it takes that level of commitment and separation from normal life to have that depth of experience.  Coming back from that time away was just as disconcerting, if not more, as the half-way point during the retreat.
I'm looking forward to another 10-day and hopefully in the future, a longer retreat.
I'm leaving tomorrow for a 3-day over the holiday to try and plug back in to that feeling and mindset.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Paul

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »
I haven't been on a 10-day retreat yet, and I find it difficult not to crave when I read this topic as well as all I hear about them.  It will happen in due time.  In the meantime, my most profound experiences on this path came from spending a weekend alone in the mountains, and remaining mindful as much of that period as possible (which is obvoiusly much more than usual when you are alone without your normal objects of craving).  I can't recommend strongly enough taking time out of your normal life context, even just one or two days, for deepening your experience if you can't get on a 10-day retreat at the moment.

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 08:47:59 AM »
aaah flipasso, that's the kind of question that I always try NOT to pose or answer, because it contains a fault ... therefore can't be answered, I think. (At times, I have to struggle really hard not to pose this question, I have to fight my inner judge - we humans enjoy it very much to compare everything)

the 10day retreat was truly amazing, and I recommend a) Goenkaji  and b) retreats. but is it right to compare and judge? I had other experiences that where ... different!
getalittle:
I once did puja to Mahavisnu, and for some seconds it really was mindless bhakti-yoga. no thinking, just devotion. and I couldn't describe what happened to me in these few seconds - impossible.
About fifteen years ago I took LSD for shamanistic reasons (not at a party). I was alone at home and did nothing but playing guitar ... I wanted to find out what would happen. After twelve hours of improvising I had to stop because of my hands, and my soul kept on singing with ... whatever, can't explain that either.
And being a botanist and crawling through the rainforest for three weeks .... man, you should try that!
And my birth ... what a flash!!! (only joking! but if I could remember, I wouldn't be able to explain, for sure!)

We all experience a lot of different sensations , but should they be ranked? if I tried to compare the quality of all my experiences, how could I remain equanimous? they were all different, that's what I can tell.

with pure bhakti (I hope), stefan
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:49:35 AM by stefan »
anicca

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:49:55 AM »
Further to Stefan's thoughts I would say this: "beyond measuring" is another synonym for "enlightenment" in the Pali cannon, i.e. beyond the mind the measures and judges is where enlightenment lays, so Stefan is spot on with his reflections.

Having said that, the most transcendental experience I have ever enjoyed was in Israel - and it was a hangover. I had drunk two bottles of vodka and then slept on the engine of a moving tractor for two hours (warm over the engine :) ). Eventually they thought I would fall off the tractor as they were driving around rutted fields so they put me in a car.

When I awoke two hours after that I was in the middle of an Avocado field asleep in a Peugot car. I got out of the car and wandered around for a bit and then was struck with what I can only describe as an overwhelming knowing that I did not exist. wherever I looked there was just this beautiful unfolding world of rows and rows of fruit trees and birds singing and no people.

That lasted for about an hour after which point being drunk cut back in so I went for a joyride accross the farm in the Peugot.

In the Dhamma,

:)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 10:51:23 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 05:26:30 AM »
... only thing that happened to me after vodka: new guinness-world-record in throwing up ... :(
anicca

Unprevaded Rapture

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 02:37:20 AM »
Nothing special in this tradition. You sit and observe all sensations in an effort to maintain a balanced mind. The most shiney satori like experience was during closing metta serving a 10 day.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:40:22 AM by Unprevaded Rapture »

upekkha

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 07:31:10 AM »
Nothing special in this tradition. You sit and observe all sensations in an effort to maintain a balanced mind. The most shiney satori like experience was during closing metta serving a 10 day.

define "special". What constitutes a 'special tradition'?

In my own experience, by 'just sitting and observing all sensations' one gains more and more insight into the true nature of phenomena, which can bring all sort of strong and strange raptures, though they are impermanent and not the goal.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:35:13 AM by upekkha »

upekkha

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »
When I awoke two hours after that I was in the middle of an Avocado field asleep in a Peugot car.

Matthew I know this is quite old but where was this? Jordan Valley kibbutzes?

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 11:13:08 AM »
upekkha,

No it was Kibbutz Kfar Haruv "The Chocolate Kibbutz" in the Golan Heights near the Syrian border overlooking the Sea of Galilee. Beautiful views, however, the houses were reinforced concrete built thick to withstand direct missile hits and had no windows facing Syria.

Matthew

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kfar_Haruv
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:17:00 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

upekkha

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
That's very nice Matthew,

I actually live right next to the sea of gallilee right now, in a kibbutz aswell :)

From what I gather Kfar Haruv is quite close to where I am at - it is very close to Hamat Gader isnt it - southern golan heights
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:36:48 PM by upekkha »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
That's very nice Matthew,

I actually live right next to the sea of gallilee right now, in a kibbutz aswell :)

From what I gather Kfar Haruv is quite close to where I am at - it is very close to Hamat Gader isnt it - southern golan heights

upekhha

It's an interesting experience - though I can imagine tensions are high at the moment. Have you been there long? And have you travelled in Israel too? I enjoyed some wonderful experiences there. Are you at Ein Gev?

And yes it's close to Hamat Gadar - actually Kibbutz Kfar Haruv own Hamat Gadar and we used to have free access to the hot sulphur springs and go there at least a couple of times a week.

Interestingly enough - given where this conversation started - I can thoroughly recommend hot springs as a hang-over cure! The waters and salts and heat just make a hang-over so much more bearable (not that I drink alcohol these days very often except for the occasional social event).

Although the actual baths you can bathe in are a modern complex, the original baths are quite amazing - especially to an Englishman - because they were built from the same plans, by the same architect, as the Roman baths in Bath in England.

Going there and seeing these exact same buildings in such a completely different context as the ones sitting in the middle of an English town is quite bizarre.

Matthew
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 06:29:21 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

upekkha

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »
I am close to Ein Gev..

I am actually Israeli so I have travelled Israel quite a bit (originally from Jerusalem, on the outskirts - near Bethlehem).
Though I'm sure you've been to places I haven't since I've not travelled the north that much except for the usual places.

I've been living in the Jordan Valley for about 6 months now, and will be living here for another year.

Hamat Gader sounds amazing, I should go there sometime :)

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 10:45:14 PM »
Definitely go. There are different temperature pools and a wonderful waterfall of hot water you can sit under in chairs. It's a place to go for a half day and chill out, sunbathing between baths. Incredibly relaxing. Meditating afterwards would be wonderful. I was there in 1990, before I was a meditator.

I went to the Lebanese border and some small towns near that area and spent some time in a very religious town - the most orthodox in Israel with hundreds of mosques whose name I forget but it was a magical place. Also went to Jerusalem and Haifa and often went to Tiberius to get away for a bit.

Israel and the Israeli people left a great  impression on me, however, the geopolitics are deeply troubling and hard to imagine peace ever emerging. A clash of two theistic cultures is always troublesome.

Matthew